I have seen many miracles in my life – so many it’s hard to know where to start. But I’ve decided to share the latest one because I just can’t stop thinking about it. One word: AMAZING.
As recently as last month, my family and I saw the hand of God move powerfully on our behalf. It was early Saturday morning when the roof of our house caught on fire.
We were all sound asleep, including our visitors. Usually my husband is the deep sleeper and I wake at any sound (mummy ears). This time I slept through it all, and my husband woke up thinking our 2 year old son was throwing his cars in the toilet.
It was actually the roof falling in.
Today I spoke to the Fire Assessor, who was completely stunned and couldn’t understand how our house was still standing. I smiled at him and agreed, yes it was amazing wasn’t it – I even dared to dust off the “miracle” word. Because the truth is we were the recipients of an amazing miracle. Our lives were literally saved that day.
Let me explain....
The fire that started in our roof had been burning for a long time - it may have even been smoldering for a few days, but grew in intensity over night as we left the light on for our visitors. The first layer of beams above the toilet light had completely disintegrated. They were like charcoal, and had fallen through the hole in the roof the fire had burnt out. When we discovered the fire, the flames were reaching up into the roof so it was well past smoldering stage. Not 30cm’s above those char-coaled beams was another set of wooden beams that didn't have even one burn mark on them. And layered right under those beams was highly flammable paper, lining the roof frame. The fire hadn’t touched the paper either.
The roof had been on fire most of the night but was miraculously contained in that small 1sqm space.
The flames were somehow prevented from moving in any direction. In the Fire Assessors words, our House should have gone up within minutes of that fire catching the FIRST beams....None of it made any logical, practical or scientific sense.
Did I mention that our house is predominantly wood? Internally and externally. He also revealed that some of the burning debris that had fallen into the toilet area had landed on a skirting board with wallpaper lining it. There was a burn mark on the board AND wallpaper, BUT the wallpaper somehow didn't catch?!! The fact that we woke up in time to put the fire out before any more damage was done was another miracle. The smoke alarms didn't go off because the smoke was contained in the roof and didn't filter out, although when we turned the lights on in our bedroom we could see smoke slowly filtering through our light fixtures. We were right down the other end of the house. Our 2 year old son’s bedroom was right next to that burning toilet with no exit options for his bedroom. The thought of what could have happened still makes my heart hurt, but that feeling is quickly replaced with high praise and adoration for a God who saw fit to send His mighty angels to stand guard and protect us. There is no other explanation for it. A true 21st century miracle. Thank you God xxx